Research is an essential of higher education. In the realization of this objective, soon after its establishment in 1961, the University set up a Directorate to organize and promote Research and Advisory Services. However, he phenomenal increase in the number of students at the undergraduate level, so over-whelmed the University that the development of research lagged behind considerable.
To arrest this situation, an effort was made in 1986 to establish an Advanced Research Centre, but unfortunately it could not take off, due to lack of financial support by the Government. However, in 1998-99 it was decided to set up a Research Centre at the University from its own resources to start with. An adequate space has been allocated for the Centre out of the existing academic blocks. Necessary equipment and machinery is already available in the University, which can conduct and guide research in the fields of vital importance for the economic development of the country. In addition, full-time research assistants have been registered for post-graduate research and M.Sc. studies on a stipend of Rs. 5000/- per month each. The research work will focus on solving the problems faced by industry and private entrepreneur.
Research Center is funcitioning under Director General of Research Extension and advisory services. The Directorate performs a variety of functions to promote research, extension and advisory services in the University. These include the following
- Function of the Directorate.
- Regulate M.Sc., M.Phil, and Ph.D. programmes.
- Provide funds and monitor faculty research.
- Provide funds for M.Sc., M.Phil and Ph.D. Research.
- Approve Thesis titles, supervisor and examiners.
- Co-ordinate the split Ph.D programmes with foreign universities.
- Award of Research Assistantship.
- Sponsoring collaborative research work in Engineering and Architecture, City & Regional Planning and allied disciplines at the University and promote the research work.
- Coordinating advisory services of the university for the benefit of the government departments and industries.
- Arranging evaluation of research publications of faculty members and publishing of Research Journal of the University.