University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Lahore was established in 1961 as West Pakistan University of Engineering and Technology by upgrading Mughalpura Technical College, established in 1921. Its more familiar name of the pre-University era, the Maclagan Engineering College was given to it in 1923 when Sir Edwards Maclagan, the then Governor of Punjab laid down the foundations of the building, now called the Main Block. UET Lahore therefore is the oldest engineering education institution of the country. In 1961 the University had four engineering degree programmes. The University now has twenty engineering degree programmes and an equal number of Postgraduate and PhD programmes. The faculties and the laboratories have been providing services like consulting, design and testing to other organizations including State Sectors, commercial organizations and education sector.
To integrate and centralize the use of potential and vast resources of the University, a consulting company in the field of engineering and architecture namely “Engineering Services UET Pakistan (Pvt.) Limited” - ESUPAK has been established by the University, with its Head Office on the main campus of the University located at G.T Road, Lahore, Pakistan.
The main objective is to create a pool of talented and experienced professionals to render consulting services in all disciplines of engineering, architecture, urban and regional planning, industrial & engineering management etc. The nucleus and vision is to render consultancy services as per international standards for both local and as well as foreign funded projects in Pakistan and abroad.
Like almost all countries of the world, the provision of consultancy services is not a new concept in UET Lahore. Ever since the inception of the University, the faculties as well as the faculty members have been engaging themselves in consulting / advisory services of various nature and these activities, although sporadic but are quite voluminous. In 1974, UET established a centralized consultancy office with the name, University Design Directorate (U.D.D.) that offered consultancy, advisory & testing services in various fields such as architecture, town planning, landscaping, structural, electrical, and mechanical & public health engineering. It used to operate through groups of members from the concerned faculty e.g. Architectural Design Group from the Architecture Department, Civil Engineering Design Group from the Civil Engineering Department, and so on. The U.D.D. undertook a number of projects of national significance that were subsequently executed to successful completion by the respective client. The projects undertaken by the U.D.D. are therefore inherited by ESUPAK.
ESUPAK has been pre-qualified by Government of Punjab and Government of Pakistan by its various departments such as Punjab Board of Investment and Trade, Planning and Development Division, University of Education, University of Health Sciences, SMEDA etc, and International Funding Agencies such as IDB.
ESUPAK has a human resource in the form of highly experienced and qualified professional staff, which is motivated with total commitment to provide quality services in all areas of its operation.